Monday, November 17, 2008

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong


Hello There,

This is my very first blog book review, so please bear with me...

The Summoning by Kelley Armstrong was a very good book. When I first saw the cover for it, I was intrigued. I came across this book through my mother. She works at a high school and one of the students was reading it. She knew that I would love it, but wanted to read it herself first. I was a little cautious about reading it at first, for the 300 + pages intimidated me. I was drawn into the story within the first chapter.
This book is about a 15 year old girl named Chloe Saunders. In her early childhood years that she only remembers brief fragments of, she recalls a haunted basement in a house that she lived in. This was terrifying for this poor little girl. Then a tragedy struck the family after moving out of the true-to-life haunted house.

Now with her mother dead, her father half way across the world and left to fend for herself with her Aunt Lauren to guide her through life, she attends an art school after being moved from place to place because of her dad's job. She attends the school for only a day and she quickly realises that there's something weird going on. Is it all in her head, or do they actually want her help? After an unfortunate incident she is sent to Lyle house, a place for troubled teens.

I liked this book because the story line interested me. It pulled me in and I actually felt as if I was truly living in Lyle House alongside her. Chloe seemed to be stuck in her own mind, not sure of what is real and what is make believe. This story interested me enough and inspired me enough to follow in my mother's footsteps to blog book reviews so that I can share my thoughts on my favourite books alongside some of the best. I am usually the type not to read awfully long novels, but I never wanted to put this book down. I give The Summoning by Kelly Armstrong a four out of five stars and I strongly recommend this novel and the rest of the Dark Powers series.

No comments: